WHAT WE TALK ABOUT WHEN WE TALK ABOUT RUSSIAN ART
WHEN: Sunday, 20 December 2015 at 4pm
WHERE: The Prince Theatre – part of the Producers’ Club, Upstairs at 358 West 44th Street New York, NY, 10036
Causa Artium is kicking off a new initiative – a new ongoing series of podcasts about Russian Art. It’s about “WHAT WE TALK ABOUT WHEN WE TALK ABOUT RUSSIAN ART” – as viewers, as scholars and critics.
- What is the conversation we usually get …and what parts of it are not really the point?
- More centrally: what are the most important things about Russian art – of any period, any movement, any artist – that we really need to be focusing on, but aren’t ……yet?
On Sunday 20 December, we gather to hear the initial experts speak to this question – their talks will become the first podcasts in the new program. Then they’ll join forces in a round-table discussion of the issues raised in the talks – and more. Come and listen, ask your own questions, meet the experts!
Talks will be in Russian and in English, at the speaker’s election.
Participants will include:
- Aleksandra Shatskikh, possibly the world’s premiere expert on Malevich and early 20th-century Russian avant-garde art.
- Natalia Kolodzei, art historian, curator, director of one of the world’s greatest collections of post-war Russian art.
- Elena Sarni, artist and curator
- Margaret Samu, art historian and scholar, teaches at New York University, the Parsons School of Design, Yeshiva University, the New School, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.